Monday, August 29, 2016

Tater Tot Taco Casserole

First of all, a friend gave me this recipe, so whomever initially wrote it, thanks!

I love casseroles. My kids - they're hit or miss. Whose kids aren't? But this one incorporates all sorts of foods they love plus some healthy ones. It's a nice alternative to taco night. So is taco soup. YUM. If I haven't posted that one, let me know and I'll share that! Top this however you want on your plate: add black olives, peppers, sour cream, you name it! Just like a home made taco bar, but in casserole form. Don't like black beans? Substitute in pinto or chili beans. You can use fresh or frozen corn in lieu of can corn and any meat: pulled chicken, ground turkey, etc... Like Mexican cheese instead, use that. Be creative in what you like to use, here's the base recipe:

casserole dish, deep sided pan
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of black beans, drained
1 can enchilada sauce - we used medium
1 pkg of frozen tater tots (I like tots, so I used the whole bag. You could use half a bag)
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese

Pull out the tots from the freezer and set them on the counter. Heat your oven to 350 deg. In a large pan with sides, brown meat and onions. Drain fat. Add garlic, taco seasoning, corn, and beans. Heat through. While the meat mixture is warming, pour half of the enchilada sauce in a rectangle casserole dish. Set dish aside. In the pan, or a large mixing bowl (<---- I used a bowl), combine meat mixture, tater tots and 3/4 of the cheese; pour into prepared dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce. Bake for 30 minutes. Top casserole with remaining cheese and bake 10 more minutes.

I topped my portion with sour cream, so did my kids because it came out with some heat. I think that's about it. Enjoy!

No comments: