I recently made this dish and when I went to grab the potatoes I noticed I had used them two nights before! After a quick thought of panic I looked to see what else I could use so my pie would have a topping. I looked and saw two sweet potatoes sitting on my counter. Joy! Not knowing how it would come out I thought to myself, "It can't come out that bad. It's in the same family and it is fall, after all." So I chopped and boiled my sweet potatoes and mixed in ingredients one would typically use in baked sweet potatoes and a casserole. Ending result: Delicious!!! From my 1 year old to my 30 year old (husband).
This can be a multi-tasker recipe, but don't freak out. You can let items sit for a while on lower heat and then bring it back up if you feel overwhelmed. It's okay.
1 lb ground beef (really, whatever meat you use)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic or 1-2 fresh cloves, minced
1 1/2 C frozen mixed veggies (you can use any veggies here or only carrots)
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 C Beef boullion (if using a cube, mix with 1 C water)
1T W-Sauce
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
2 T butter
milk
cinnamon
nutmeg
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 7-8 minutes or until a fork goes through easily.
While potatoes are boiling: Brown meat, onion, and garlic in frying pan over medium heat. Drain fat, return pan to stove. Add veggies and let cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
While meat is browning melt butter in a small frying pan or small pot (medium heat). Add flour and mix well. Bring to a small boil. Add boullion and W-Sauce, mix well. Add this mixture to your meat and veggie pan. Mix well and let cook on medium heat for 2 minutes to thicken. Transfer to a 1 1/2 qt baking dish. Prep broiler to High.
When potatoes are done cooking; drain and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and enough milk to make the mashed potatoes smooth. You can add it little bits at a time. Spread potatoes over meat mixture. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown a bit. You're not cooking anything here, just topping off the potatoes with some heat.
*******
This recipe can be tweaked again with Post-Thanksgiving dinner! Replace ground meat with leftover turkey. Add any vegetable leftovers. Mix with turkey gravy. Top with mashed potatoes and bake to warm up. Serve with Cranberry Sauce. Yum!
3 comments:
Sounds yummy, will try the post Thanksgiving one this year!
I think I told you already that I tried this recipe. It was so yummy and we all liked it.
That's great Crystal. I'm glad you did!
Post a Comment