Tuesday, September 27, 2011

RosaLee's Chili

Here's the background: RosaLee worked with my mother at Lee Road Radiology. I was with RosaLee and her husband, Franklin, the day my mother passed. She was a very dear friend. This recipe made me fall in love with chili. I disliked it until then......

1 lb Ground Beef (now - you really can sub any meat into chili, and it can be ground or chunky)
1 Med Onion, chopped
2 C Water
2 Cans diced tomatoes (stewed or 2 fresh diced tomatoes works too)
2 Cans tomato sauce
2 Cans kidney beans, drained
1 T Chili powder
1 T Paprika
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 C Salsa
1 C Instant Potato Flakes
1/2 C Sour Cream
1 C Shredded Cheese - I use cheddar
1 Bag Tostito's Chips

Brown meat and onion in a pot. Drain fat. Add water, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, garlic and salsa to pot. (Tip: don't dump the seasonings in, sprinkle them in and stir so they don't clump together. I'm sure you don't want to bite into a clump of chili powder!) Bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Add potato flakes and sour cream, stir and let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve in bowls. Top with cheese and eat with chips.

Feel free to tweak this recipe any way you wish. I have done it with steak bites in a crock pot, chicken with green peppers, the sky's the limit. I'm going to try it with rabbit meat this fall.

No comments: